Welcome to Week 4 of my Spring Clean and Purge Party! Check out the introduction and jump in! When you are done your room, add a link to your before and afters (or just how it went). Can’t wait to see how we all get so neat and tidy together!
I let the master bedroom take two weeks because it was a bit of a bigger job than I anticipated (and I got sick half-way through it). This week we will tackle the MASTER BEDROOM CLOSET.
Our closet it actually like a small bedroom so it’s easy to get stuff accumulated in there. Also, have been through a variety of clothes the past four plus years due to pregnancies and such, my clothes are in a serious re-evaluation of “will I wear it when I get to pre-pregnancy weight again”.
Here’s the list I’ll be following. Don’t be surprised if as we progress the list starts to sound the same. It’s not rocket science, it’s house cleaning; I can only be so original for each room! Please leave a comment if I forgot something that you include. Remember, you have ONE WEEK to complete this entire list. You can do it in one day or spread it out. I’ve tried to put it in some-what sequential order. Start at the top of the room and work down.
- General Tidy ~ put everything in its place, especially if it doesn’t belong.
- Clothes ~ I organize light to dark, left to right and arrange by type (e.g. skirts, dresses, short-sleeves, long-sleeves, etc.). I worked in a clothing store and this is how they organized clothes. This way it looks less mashed in there for me too.
- Shoes ~ I also organize these light to dark, left to right and arrange my type (e.g. flats, heels, boots, sports shoes, etc.).
- Dust ~ use a damp, soapy cloth to get a deeper clean. Start at the top of the room and include tops of curtains, cobwebs in the corner (you may need a stool or an extendable duster if you are short like me), light fixtures or ceiling fans, window frame, crown molding, door frame, all middle sections of the room perhaps including light switches, lamp shades, door handles, vents, baseboards. Also clean mirrors.
- Vacuum ~ move things to get cleaning behind items that don’t normally get moved in a vacuum. I also try to vacuum the hanger/tops of clothes that I haven’t used in a while (perhaps time to get rid of these items??). Febreeze carpet for a fresh scent!
- Purged Items ~ drop off to donate or list items you want to sell. Don’t let this sit more than the time it takes to finish your next room.